Create an Invoice
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Canopy Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
- Canopy First Look Webinars
- Guides for your Clients
Creating an invoice in Canopy is simple and convenient. Time entries, services, and user rates can all be added to an invoice to best suit your needs. Invoices can be fully customized to show an itemized breakdown or a single-line invoice. For information about how to create a Recurring Invoice, follow the Create a Recurring Invoice article on the knowledge base.
Permissions: Invoices; Create, Edit, & Send Invoices
1. Click the Global Add Button.
2. Select Invoice from the slide-in menu.
3. Search for and select a Contact for the Contact Name.
4. As needed, input a different Invoice #.
- Canopy will automatically number each invoice in sequential order.
5. As needed, change the Invoice Date.
- The date will automatically be set to the current date.
6. As needed, change the Terms for when payment is due.
- The Due Date will automatically update to reflect changes to the Terms.
7. Select which columns to display on the invoice by checking their category in the Column Visibility dropdown menu.
- Click Done to update the visible columns.
- These are the columns that will be visible on the final invoice.
8. Complete your line item invoice information.
- Input a Service Item.
- Fill out each visible column.
- The columns will automatically update to reflect the service item's information.
- As needed, click + Add line item to add an additional service to the invoice.
9. As needed, click + Add saved time to add previously saved time entries to the invoice.
- On the saved time screen, check each time entry you wish to add to the invoice.
- Click Invoice Entries to add the selected entries to your invoice.
10. Toggle Single Line Invoice to create an invoice that shows only a description and the totals due.
- After toggling Single Line Invoice, you will not be able to edit your service items and time entries. To edit services again, toggle Single Line Invoice to off.
- Enter a Description for the Single Line Invoice. Your description will be shown in place of the services.
11. To add a Client Note, switch the Client Note toggle to green.
12. To include Terms and Conditions, switch the Terms and Conditions toggle to green.
13. Click Preview to see how your invoice will look.
14. Click Send to send your invoice to your client.
- Alternatively, you can Save, Download, or Print the invoice by clicking on the associated icon.