Create a Task
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Training Video Library
- Support Guides
- Tax Resolution
- Guides for Your Clients
- Canopy Mobile App
- Getting Started with Canopy
- Canopy Updates
With this streamlined process, you can assign a task to a contact and add any number of team members to each task. You can also associate a task with a specific engagement and provide a detailed explanation of what needs to be done in the description field.
You can create a task anywhere in Canopy. To get started, click the Global add button which is depicted as a blue plus sign on the navigation bar.
- Roles: Any
- Permissions: Create, Edit, and Assign Work; Generic Tasks
1. Click Create Task on the slide-in panel.
- Alternatively, navigate to the Contacts List to create a bulk task for several clients at once.
2. Add a Task name in the provided field.
3. Click Template to apply a template to the task.
4. Use the Status dropdown to apply a status to the task.
5. Using the Contact dropdown, select a contact to assign to the task.
6. Assign the task to an engagement by using the Engagement dropdown.
- This field will only appear if you have assigned a contact to the task.
7. Using the Assignee(s) dropdown, assign team members to the task.
8. Set a time budget in the Budget hours box.
9. Set a Priority status for the task by clicking on the provided pill.
- You can choose between low, medium, high, or no status.
10. Add a description for the task, as needed.
11. Use the Repeat dropdown to set the task to repeat on the specified cadence.
- Tasks can be set to repeat daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, or not at all.
- In the Repeat every box, input a number to set the repeat cadence.
12.In the Date well, add a Start date or Due date as needed.
- You can also add a Custom Date Type by clicking Add a date.
13. As needed, set up a Reminder by clicking Add reminder in the reminder well.
14. In the File well, click Add file to attach any relevant files to the task.
15. Add automation to tasks and subtasks by clicking the Add automation button.
- For more directions on creating automation, review this article!
16. Add a Client request to the tasks by clicking the Add a client request button.
17. Click Add a subtask to add subtasks to the tasks.
18. Verify that all of the information is correct and accurate and click Create and Manage to proceed to the task workspace.
- You can also click Create and close to return to the page you created the task from.
Managing a Task on the Task Workspace
1. Start a timer for the task by clicking the Timer icon (a watch).
2. Set a task's priority by clicking the priority tag.
- Select from High, Medium, Low, or No Priority.
3. Change the Status of a task by clicking on the status dropdown.
- Select a preset status, or add a custom status.