Navigate the Client Organizer
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Practice Management
- Tax Resolution
- Canopy Mobile App
- Canopy First Steps
- Canopy Updates
- Canopy First Look Webinars
- Guides for your Clients
The Client Organizer allows practitioners to quickly gather and organize tax information from clients in one simple step. Complete the tax survey yourself or send it to your client to fill out themselves. Tax Organizer also allows you to conveniently upload any relevant tax documents to be stored on Canopy.
Navigating the Client Organizer
1. In order to generate a new Client Organizer for a contact, click the Global Add Button on the global navigation bar.
2. Choose Tax Organizer from the slide-in menu.
3. Fill out all necessary information such as Contact type, Contact, Organizer name, Assignee(s), and Due date.
4. Click Add organizer.
5. From the main Client Organizer page, you are able to begin filling out your client's tax information.
- Answer all questions in the selected section. Once you are done with one section, click Next section.
- If needed, click Upload Documents to upload any applicable supplemental files for the tax form.
6. Send the organizer to the client to complete. For instructions, refer to the Sending a Client Organizer to a Contact section below.
7. Once the client has completed the survey and sent it back to you, you will be able to see all of their responses reflected in the Organizer.
- Be sure to click through each section to make sure each question was answered.
- If any corrections are needed, click Resend and include any notes in the Personalized message box.
8. Once the Client Organizer is complete, click the Options icon and select Download form.
- The completed tax form will be downloaded onto your computer.
9. Click Tasks on the global navigation bar.
10. Choose Tax Organizers to view active organizers.
- Here, you can change the status of an Organizer.
- Click the Options icon on the right-hand side to view Archived organizers.
Sending a Client Organizer to a contact
If you do not have all the information needed to fill out all of the sections yourself, you can send the Organizer to the client to fill out. To get started, click Send in the top left-hand corner of the Organizer.
1. Choose the contact email you would like to send the Organizer to.
- If needed, include a personalized message.
2. Click Send.
- Your client will receive an email that will ask them to complete the form as a Survey in the Client Portal. To better assist your client in completing the survey, please refer them to the Complete a client organizer article.
3. Back on the main Client Organizer page, click the Options icon and select Organizer Options.
- Here, you can set the Client Organizer's access permissions for your client. If you have already sent the Organizer to your client, access will default to On and will allow the client to edit information in the Client Portal.
- To prevent access once the client has returned the Organizer back to you, toggle the slider to On.