Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) in Canopy
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Training Video Library
- Support Guides
- Tax Resolution
- Guides for Your Clients
- Canopy Mobile App
- Getting Started with Canopy
- Canopy Updates
Two-factor authentication (2FA) helps tax practitioners who want to reduce the risk of their account being maliciously compromised. It provides a second layer of security to make it more difficult for unauthorized users to gain account access.
Canopy offers support for two-factor email authentication or via SMS. By default, the codes send to your verified email address.
Canopy sends a 6-digit code to your email or mobile device when you sign in. You are required to enter that code into Canopy to authorize your account.
You have the option to remember a device for 30 days when your login is authenticated. You will not need to authenticate each time you log in unless you try to access Canopy:
- From a new or different device within the 30 day window.
- From an incognito or private window in your browser.
Setting up Two-Factor Authentication
By default, authentication codes are sent to your email address in your Canopy Profile.
These steps show you where to verify this and how to add a phone number to receive text messages for codes.
1. Navigate to your Profile settings in Canopy.
2. Scroll down to 2-Step Verification.
2a. If you haven't already, check the box to enable 2-Step Verification.
3. To receive codes to your mobile device, enter a phone number in the Text Message (SMS) field.
- By default, your email associated to the Canopy account is used to receive authentication codes.
- If you change your email, you'll need to verify the email before you begin receiving authentication codes.
4. Check the box to agree to receive text messages from Canopy.
5. Press Send code to receive an authentication code.
This code goes to your mobile device with the phone number you entered.
The text message looks like this:
6. Enter the code in Canopy and press Verify SMS.
You will see a notification when you have successfully enabled 2FA. Your Text Message field is verified.
Logging in with Two-Factor Authentication
If you are accessing Canopy after 30 days since you last authenticated or from another device, you'll need to re-authenticate to gain access. After logging into your account: